Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Rosmead House, County Westmeath
15400904
View from the south.
Reg. No.15400904
Date1790 - 1800
Previous NameRossmead House
TownlandCAVESTOWN AND ROSMEAD
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates261416, 264470
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usedemesne walls/gates/railings
In Use Asdemesne walls/gates/railings
 
Description
Triumphant arched gateway serving Rosmead House (15400921), erected c.1795. Comprises round-headed carriage arch flanked by giant order Corinthian pilasters supporting entablature and cornice over and terminated by square-piers, originally topped by urn finials (now removed). Arch supports pair of wrought-iron gates. Constructed of ashlar limestone with extensive ashlar trim. Keystone, masks and Corinthian capitals executed in Coade stone. Gate flanked to either side by low rendered walls terminated by gate piers on square plan. Located to the south of Rosemead House and to the north of Delvin.

Appraisal

An important, elegantly-composed triumphant arch gateway serving Rosmead House (15400921). These spectacular entrance gates are very well-built using high quality ashlar limestone and are extensively embellished using ashlar and Coade Stone detailing. Coade stone was a type of 'artificial stone' first created by Mrs. Eleanor Coade (1733-1821), and sold commercially from 1769 to 1833. It was commonly used for decorative elements of Georgian buildings in England, particularly in the southeast, but is rare material in Ireland. These gates were originally designed by the renowned architect Samuel Woolley to serve a neighbouring estate, Glananea House (15305003), near Drumcree. These gates were later dismantled and moved to Rosemead in the early nineteenth-century after the owner of Glananea House, a Ralph Smyth, got tired of been called 'Smyth with the gates'. However, his plan backfired slightly and flowing the moving of these elaborate gates he was later known locally as 'Smyth without the gates', much to his chagrin. Apparently, the statues and urns that originally formed part of this gateway are now in a private collection in Northern Ireland. These gate now form a highly appealing and visual pleasing artefact in the landscape to the north of Delvin and acts as an historical reminder of Rosmead House, now derelict to the north.
 
Back To Results