Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - County Westmeath

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Tullynally Castle, County Westmeath
General view.
Reg. No.15400324
Date1790 - 1810
Previous NameN/A
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates244191, 270455
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC
Original Usegarden structure misc
In Use Asgarden structure misc
Pair of Coade stone sphinxes, c.1799, flanking entrance between the flower gardens and the kitchen gardens (15400322) to the west of Tullynally Castle (15400321). Stamped 'Coade's Lithodipyra' to the base.


A fine pair of Coade stone sphinxes, which forms part of the attractive setting within the gardens of Tullynally Castle (15400321). Coade stone was a type of 'artificial stone' first created by Mrs Eleanor Coade (1733-1821), and sold commercially from 1769 to 1833. It was commonly used for decorative elements of Georgian buildings in England, particularly in the southeast, but is rare material in Ireland.
Back To Results