Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
The Olde Volunteer, Main Street, Kilbeggan, County Westmeath
15321020
View from the northwest.
Reg. No.15321020
Date1750 - 1800
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILBEGGAN
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates233381, 235434
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Aspublic house
Additional Useshop/retail outlet
 
Description
Terraced seven-bay two-storey house, built c.1775. Formerly two separate houses. Now in use as a public house with accommodation over. Pitched artificial slate roof with large rendered chimneystack on square-plan to centre, simple eaves cornice and uPVC rainwater goods. Rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with four-over-four pane timber sliding sash windows and cut stone sills. Square-headed door opening to western bay with replacement glazed timber door. Modern pub front to east bays having timber pilasters and console brackets supporting fascia board with modern lettering spelling 'the olde volunteer'. Replacement timber doors to pub front with tiled floor to recessed modern entrance. Road-fronted towards the centre of Kilbeggan.

Appraisal

An attractive building which retains its early form and character. The survival of the original sash windows considerably adds to the historical character and authenticity of this building. The profile of the chimneystack, the long narrow window openings and the pronounced eaves course suggest a mid-eighteenth century date but this interesting building may contain earlier fabric. Indeed, much of the centre of Kilbeggan is marked by the presence of seventeenth century burgage plots to the rear suggesting that many of the buildings here may contain pre-1700 fabric. This structure is of historical significance on account of its connections with the Irish Volunteers and the 1798 Rebellion. It remains an important structure that strongly contributes to the architectural heritage of Kilbeggan.
 
Back To Results