Main Record - County Westmeath
|St. Michael's School, Church Street, Castlepollard, County Westmeath
|Date||1845 - 1850|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL|
|Original Use||school master's house|
|In Use As||museum/gallery|| |
Detached four-bay single-storey former school building with projecting end bay to the west end of the front façade (north), built c.1848. Now in use as local museum. Pitched natural slate roofs with remains of decorative timber bargeboards, timber finials and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls over projecting plinth with limestone quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with multi-panelled timber casement windows. Main entrance on east side of projecting bay having replacement door. Stone plaque on front elevation reads 'Castlepollard National Schools, Directed by Rev.d Walter Murtagh pp 1848'. Remains of cast-iron hydrant to east end of front elevation. Set back from road with car-parking to front and having a modern stone boundary wall to road frontage (north). Later return, c.1900 to rear. Located to the east of the centre of Castlepollard.
This building retains its original form and character and most of its original fabric. Elevated above the town of Castlepollard, this former school house once played a vital role within the community, and as such is of social significance. The carved stone plaque adds historical importance to the structure. It remains an attractive and integral component of the townscape and contributes positively to the visual appeal of the locality.
Back To Results|