Main Record - County Westmeath
|Athlone Methodist church, Northgate Street, Athlone, County Westmeath
|Date||1860 - 1870|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL|
|In Use As||church/chapel|| |
Detached three-bay single-cell Gothic Revival-style Methodist church with ashlar limestone spirelets on octagonal plan to either side of entrance front (east), built c.1865. Octagonal plan sanctuary to rear (west). Steeply pitched slate roof, hipped over sanctuary rising to louvred vent to rear. Constructed of rock-faced limestone with ashlar limestone detailing. Pointed-arched openings with cusped heads to nave of church, rose window above entrance. Pointed-arched entrance set in slightly projecting gable-fronted porch with timber double-doors, flanked by pointed arched entrances with cast-iron gates to either side giving access to rear. Road-fronted with cut stone steps to front.
A fine example of Victorian church in a muscular Gothic Revival-style with robust, almost aggressive detailing. It is an unusual design for a Methodist church, which tend to be quite plain in terms of design and decoration. The ashlar dressings to the rock-faced limestone walls underline the appealing contrast of textures evident in this church. This attractive building was built to designs by Alfred G. Jones (1822-1913) and the foundation stone was laid on 25th of February 1864. It replaced an earlier Methodist church (built c.1767), which was located close to Court Devenish House. The present church remains an important component of the historic streetscape on the east side of Athlone.
Back To Results|