Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wicklow

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Nicholas's Catholic Church, Sparrow Road, Dunlavin, County Wicklow
16308016
Representative view
Reg. No.16308016
Date1810 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandDUNLAVIN UPPER
CountyCounty Wicklow
Coordinates287376, 201378
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached five-bay single-storey church built 1815, extended in 1898 and refurbished in 1998. The building is finished in render with stone dressings and drip mouldings. The church is cruciform with numerous additions including porch, side chapels, sacristies etc. The timber sheeted door has decorative strap hinges and is set within a pointed-arched opening with drip moulding over; it sits within a projecting gabled porch which in turn is placed on slightly projecting bay which rises to form an open bellcote. Window openings are generally pointed-arched and have simple 'Y' tracery. The pitched roof is finished in natural slate with cast-iron rainwater goods. Internally the church is well preserved although, as a result of the Vatican II reordering, it has lost its original altar and pulpit. The church is slightly set back behind cast-iron railings set on a low rubble wall. The matching gates have decorative square gate pillars.

Appraisal

This church occupies a prominent site overlooking the Fair Green and is in original condition. It introduces variety and interest and is a considerable asset to the streetscape of the town. A small plaque within the church records ' On May 24th 1798 Over 40 People Were Executed In Front Of This Church. They Are Buried In The Tournament Graveyard. In 1898 This Church Was Extended By The Parishioners In Memory Of The Events Of 1798'.
 
Back To Results