Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Lawrence's Catholic Church, Ballinroad Crossroads, County Waterford
22903111
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.22903111
Date1830 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandGARRYNAGERAGH WEST
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates229392, 94751
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached four-bay double-height Catholic church, c.1835, on a cruciform plan comprising two-bay double-height nave with single-bay double-height transepts to north-east and to south-west, and single-bay double-height chancel to south-east extending into single-bay double-height sacristy to south-east. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1985. Pitched slate roofs on a cruciform plan with decorative red clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-stone eaves. Unpainted replacement roughcast walls, c.1985, with cast-iron tie bars, and painted rendered stepped frontispiece to north-west incorporating gabled bellcote (having round-headed aperture with cast-iron bell, and rendered coping having cross finial to apex). Round-headed window openings with replacement concrete sills, c.1985, and replacement fixed-pane leaded stained glass windows, c.1985. Shallow segmental-headed door opening with replacement diagonal tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors, c.1985. Full-height interior renovated, c.1985, with glazed timber panelled double doors to internal porch, carved timber pews, cut-stone wall memorials (1856 and 1872), timber panelled gallery to first floor to north-west on cast-iron pillars, part-exposed timber roof construction, decorative joinery to transepts on cut-stone corbels, and carved timber altar furniture. Set back from road in own grounds with random rubble stone boundary wall to perimeter of site. (ii) Graveyard to site with various cut-stone grave markers, c.1835 - present.

Appraisal

A well-appointed middle-size church retaining most of its original form, and some of its early character. Features to the interior, including stained glass panels and decorative timber joinery, enhance the artistic quality of the composition, while the construction of the gallery and the part-exposed roof construction are of some technical merit. The church makes a strong impression on the Ballinroad Crossroads, the cut-stone markers to the attendant graveyard contributing to the setting.
 
Back To Results