Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - County Waterford

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Affane Church, County Waterford
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.22902922
Date1815 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates211141, 97008
Original Usechurch/chapel
Detached three-bay double-height single-cell Church of Ireland church, built 1819, with single-bay three-stage entrance tower to west on a square plan. Now in ruins. Pitched roof to nave now gone with cut-stone coping to gables, and no rainwater goods surviving on squared rubble stone eaves. Roof to tower not visible behind parapet (presumably now missing). Unpainted lime rendered walls (lime render partly disintegrated to some sections) over random rubble stone construction with squared stone quoins to corners, and dressings to tower including stringcourses to each stage, quatrefoil recessed panels to second stage, and battlemented parapet on stringcourse having panelled corner finials with cut-stone coping. Lancet window openings to nave (none to north elevation) in pointed-arch recesses with cut-stone sills, and red brick block-and-start surrounds. Pointed-arch window opening to east (chancel) in pointed-arch recess with cut-stone sill, mullions and tracery forming three-light lancet arrangement having lancet openings to arch. Lancet window opening to first stage to tower with cut-stone sill, and timber mullions and tracery forming paired lancet arrangement. Pointed-arch window openings to top (bell) stage to tower in round-headed recesses with cut-stone sills, and yellow brick chamfered reveals. Tudor-headed door opening to tower with chamfered reveals. Fittings now missing from all openings. Interior now in ruins with remains of plasterwork to internal walls. Set back from road in own grounds with landscaped grounds to site. (ii) Graveyard to site with various cut-stone grave markers and mausolea, c.1820 - c.1920. (iii) Gateway, c.1820, to south comprising pair of painted lime rendered rubble stone piers with rendered capping, wrought iron double gates, and sections of random rubble stone boundary walls to perimeter of site having rubble stone coping.


A well-composed modest-scale church that adheres to a standard arrangement approved by the Board of First Fruits (fl. c.1711 - 1833). Although now long disused and in a ruinous condition, the original form and massing of the church remain intact, together with the remains of some important salient features and materials. To the attendant graveyard a number of cut-stone markers and mausolea enhance the artistic quality of the site, and indicate high quality local craftsmanship. The church remains an important element of the architectural heritage of the area, attesting to the once-prosperous Church of Ireland community in the locality, and forms a picturesque landmark of some Romantic quality in the landscape.
Back To Results