Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Anne's Church, Passage East, County Waterford
22807032
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.22807032
Date1745 - 1750
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKNOCKROE (GAUL. BY.)
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates270144, 110094
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Asapartment/flat (converted)
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey rubble stone single-cell Church of Ireland church, built 1746, originally double-height. In ruins, post-1925. Extensively renovated, c.1970, with interior remodelled to accommodate use as apartments. Pitched slate roof with red clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, c.1970, cut-stone coping having cut-stone bellcote to apex to west, replacement square rooflights, c.1970, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Random rubble stone walls part repointed, c.1970, with dressed stone quoins to corners. Round-headed window openings to north elevation with replacement stone sills, c.1970, yellow brick surrounds, and replacement timber casement windows, c.1970. One lancet window opening to south with chamfered surround, and fixed-pane leaded stained glass window. Outline of square apertures with cut-stone surrounds. Now blocked-up. Interior remodelled, c.1970, with dividing floor inserted (forming two-storey space replacing double-height space). Set back from line of road in own grounds on elevated site with rubble stone boundary wall to site.

Appraisal

A well-composed, modest-scale church occupying a prominent site overlooking Passage East, and visible from across the channel at Ballyhack, County Wexford. Although comprehensively renovated in the late twentieth century to accommodate an alternative purpose, some of the original form and massing remains intact, although it is presumed that most of the historic fabric has been lost. The church is of additional importance as a reminder of the once-prosperous Church of Ireland community in the locality.
 
Back To Results