Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Kilmacthomas Railway Viaduct, Kilmacthomas, County Waterford
22805032
Representative view of railway viaduct.
Reg. No.22805032
Date1875 - 1880
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILMACTHOMAS
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates239510, 106211
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingNational
Original Usebridge
 
Description
Seven-arch rubble stone railway viaduct over road, opened 1878, with single-span section to centre. Closed, 1982. Squared rubble limestone walls with batter to north-west, cut-stone stringcourse, and cut-stone coping to parapets. Series of seven round arches on squared rubble stone piers having rusticated cut-stone stringcourses to springs of arches, dressed rubble limestone voussoirs, and squared rubble limestone soffits having traces of lime render over. Single cast-iron span to centre on cast-iron girders having lattice supports with sections of replacement tubular iron railings, c.1950, over. Freestanding railway signal, c.1950, to north-west.

Appraisal

An elegantly-composed railway viaduct, built to designs prepared by James Otway (1843 - 1906) by Smith Finlaysaon and Company, Glasgow, which forms an imposing landmark in the centre of Kilmacthomas. The civil engineering heritage significance of the composition is identified by the form and construction of the arches, which have retained their original profile, together with the central span incorporating early cast-iron work. The construction in squared rubble limestone attests to high quality stone masonry, and produces an appealing textured visual effect in the landscape. The viaduct, one of a pair in the immediate locality (with 22805035/WD-15-05-35), is of particular significance as a reminder of the development of the Great Southern and Western Railway line by the Waterford, Dungarvan, and Lismore Railway Company in the late nineteenth century, which promoted the economy of smaller urban areas, such as Kilmacthomas.
 
Back To Results