Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
An Siopa, 60 John Street, Saint John's Avenue, Waterford, County Waterford
22501241
Representative view of house.
Reg. No.22501241
Date1885 - 1890
Previous NameN/A
TownlandWATERFORD CITY
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates260722, 112144
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL
RatingRegional
Additional Useshop/retail outlet
 
Description
Terraced two-bay three-storey red brick house, built 1889, on a corner site retaining original aspect and possibly incorporating fabric of earlier house with shopfronts to ground floor, and single-bay two-storey return to south-east. One of a terrace of four. Pitched (shared) slate roof with red clay ridge tiles, red brick (shared) chimney stack, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on red brick eaves. Red brick Flemish bond wall to front (north-west) elevation with moulded red brick band to eaves, and exposed limestone ashlar quoins to ground floor having chamfered corner. Unpainted rendered wall to side (south-west) and to rear (south-east) elevations. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 1/1 timber sash windows having margins. 6/6 timber sash window to return. Timber shopfronts to ground floor with inscribed pilasters, fixed pane timber display window, timber panelled and glazed timber panelled doors with overlights, and timber fascia over with dentilated moulded cornice. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.

Appraisal

This house, built as one of a terrace of four identical houses, is an attractive building of balanced proportions that has been very well maintained to present an original aspect. The house incorporates an important early-surviving timber shopfront of artistic merit. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (22501238 - 40/WD-5632-21-248 - 50), is an important component of the streetscape of John Street, and is distinguished by the red brick construction.
 
Back To Results