Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Cherry's Brewery, Mary Street, Waterford, County Waterford
22500385
Representative view of buildling.
Reg. No.22500385
Date1900 - 1910
Previous NameN/A
TownlandWATERFORD CITY
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates259984, 112815
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usebrewery
 
Description
Attached six-bay three-storey building with attic, c.1905, on an L-shaped plan retaining early aspect with two-bay four-storey tower to south-east having four-bay two-storey perpendicular wing with attic to north-east. Now disused. Hipped slate roof to main block with clay ridge tiles, pitched glazed lantern to apex, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded eaves. Pyramidal slate roof to tower with clay ridge tiles, pyramidal glazed lantern to apex, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded eaves. Pitched slate roof to wing with clay ridge tiles, pitched glazed lantern to apex, rendered coping to gable, rendered profiled chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded eaves. Unpainted roughcast lime rendered walls over random rubble stone construction. Shallow segmental- and round-headed window openings to main block with concrete sills, rendered block-and-start surrounds, and timber casement windows. Round-headed double-height window opening to wing with concrete sill, painted brick block-and-start surround, and timber casement window having spoked fanlight. Interior with tongue-and-groove timber panelled mash tun having copper domed capping, cast-iron pillars supporting cast-iron beams, and open timber and cast-iron roof construction with tongue-and-groove timber panelling to roof. Set back from road in shared grounds with tarmacadam grounds to site.

Appraisal

This building is of considerable significance, representing a component of a brewery that had been existence on this site since the early eighteenth century. Although now disused, the building retains much of its early form and character, and many important early or original salient features and materials remain in situ. The interior is especially of interest, retaining much of the machinery associated with the industrial practise on site, while the cast-iron pillars of local origin (attesting to a further industrial practise in the city) are further features of technical significance in the structure. The building, together with a number of related buildings in the grounds (including 22500085/WD-5632-16-85), remains an imposing landmark in the townscape of Waterford City.
 
Back To Results