Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary South

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint John's Church, Tipperary South
22208128
View from north
Reg. No.22208128
Date1815 - 1825
Previous NameN/A
TownlandTUBBRID
CountyTipperary South
Coordinates203495, 118008
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding Church of Ireland church, built 1819-20 on site of medieval church, with five-bay nave and having two-stage entrance tower to west. Closed 1919, now ruinous. Roofless pitched roof. Roughcast lime-rendered walls with buttresses between windows of nave. String courses and octagonal corner buttresses to crenellated tower, having further outer round-profile buttresses to tower end of nave, all with conical pinnacles, and cut limestone string courses. Pointed arch window openings to nave with tooled chamfered limestone surrounds with hood-mouldings. Round-headed door opening with carved chamfered limestone surround and hood moulding terminating in sculpted stops. Cast-iron vehicular gates set to roughcast rendered piers to front of site, with cast-iron railing on rubble limestone plinth wall with limestone coping stones. Cast-iron pedestrian gateway to east of site. Rubble limestone wall surrounding site to west, east and south. Graveyard located to south-east of site.

Appraisal

Though the main body of this church is now in ruins, the tower remains a notable and dominant structure in the surrounding area. The octagonal- and circular-profile buttresses terminating in pinnacles and the window and door surrounds with hood mouldings are interesting features. The setting of the church is enhanced by the graveyard to the site, burial place of the historian and writer Dr Geoffrey Keating (Seathrún Céitinn).
 
Back To Results