Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - Tipperary North

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Kilboy House, Dolla, Tipperary North
Front façade.
Reg. No.22402605
Date1950 - 1960
Previous NameN/A
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates186323, 171961
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL
Original Usecountry house
In Use Ashouse
Detached five-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1775, destroyed in 1922 and rebuilt c. 1955 with portico to entrance. Three-bay two-storey side elevations, with large two-storey extension to south-west. Hipped slate roofs with recent cut limestone chimneystacks. Rendered walls with decorative render pilasters. Replacement windows to front. Mainly timber sash elsewhere, with raised cut limestone surrounds with keystones and sills. Segmental- and round-headed openings to extension, with one-over-one pane timber sash windows to south elevation, and doorway with spoked fanlight. Timber panelled double doors under portico, flanked by windows. Two flights of limestone steps to front elevation. Sandstone walls to site boundary with thatched gate lodge and ornate gateway to main, south, entrance and gate lodge with ornate gateway to north-east.


The original house to this site was designed by William Leeson, but only the steps and base of the original building remain. The grounds, demesne walls, entrances and gate lodges are perhaps more interesting than the house, forming an interesting group of demesne structures. The imposing triple-arched entrances set in high demesne walls with their ashlar dressings and gate lodges on both the south and east boundaries create a sense of heightened anticipation before seeing the house.
Back To Results