Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - Tipperary North

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Nenagh Bridge, Tipperary North
South elevation.
Reg. No.22402007
Date1700 - 1750
Previous NameN/A
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates186747, 181295
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL
Original Usebridge
Four-arch stone bridge built c. 1725, carrying road traffic over Nenagh River, now disused and bypassed by new road to east. Two round-headed central arches flanked by lower segmental arches. Triangular cutwaters to south. Roughly-dressed cutwaters and voussoirs, limestone rubble elevations and limestone block and rubble parapet walls topped with concrete course.


Although closed to vehicles, this bridge is still used by walkers and in good structural order. Briefly visible from the new bridge and the main road, the textural variation between the rubble stone and the cut stone is of interest.
Back To Results