Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Kilruane Church of Ireland Church, Tipperary North
22401513
View from south-west.
Reg. No.22401513
Date1815 - 1825
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILRUANE
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates189768, 183309
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached Board of First Fruits church, built 1820, with three-bay side elevations to nave and three-stage tower with pinnacles and crenellations to west. Snecked limestone walls with ashlar limestone corner buttresses, string courses to tower and carved eaves course to nave. Openings with hood mouldings and chamfered ashlar reveals. Lancet windows with one remaining leaded light in tower and pointed-arch entrance. Remains of ruinous medieval church in graveyard to site. Limestone rubble piers with cut stone caps and cast-iron spear-headed gates. Limestone rubble boundary walls.

Appraisal

This Board of First Fruits church, despite its ruinous state retains well-executed fabric, and was clearly executed by skilled stone masons. The hood mouldings are well carved, as are the generous window reveals which are splayed to allow for maximum illumination. The site also includes the remains of an earlier church which adds further interest. This earlier church, graveyard and entrance gates form a notable group of related religious structures.
 
Back To Results