Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Ashley Park House, Tipperary North
22401507
View of front elevation, from south-east.
Reg. No.22401507
Date1810 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
TownlandASHLEYPARK (ARDCRONY PR)
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates187928, 186083
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usecountry house
In Use Ascountry house
Additional Useguest house/b&b
 
Description
Detached multiple-bay two-storey over basement country house with three-bay three-storey return to rear, remodelled c. 1830, incorporating fabric of earlier building. Now also in use as a guest house. Projecting polygonal western and entrance bays to front façade, with timber verandah to ground floor with carved spandrels to top of timber post supports. Hipped slate roofs having rendered and cut limestone chimneystacks. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to front, roughcast elsewhere. Square-headed openings, having one-over-one pane timber sash windows to first floor and return, traceried timber casements to ground floor at front and timber latticed windows to western polygonal bay, all with limestone sills and external shutter additions. Timber panel and latticed double entrance doors set in square-headed opening having limestone surround with carved consoles and cornice and with niche to first floor. Flight of ashlar limestone steps leading to entrance. Range of outbuildings set around a central courtyard, with water pump in the centre. Single- and-two-storey outbuildings with pitched slate roofs, roughcast render walls and integral carriage arches and with limestone arched gateway .

Appraisal

This country house, with its unusual polygonal ends, is of apparent architectural design. It retains many original features and materials, such as the latticed windows and slate roof. The decorative timber veranda with carved quatrefoil motifs adds artistic interest to the house. The windows are particularly ornate, as is the carved limestone entrance surround with ashlar limestone steps. The surround and consoles are exquisitely carved and are clearly the work of skilled craftsmen. The range of outbuildings, set around a central courtyard retain integral carriage arches with carved limestone voussoirs and a late nineteenth-century water pump.
 
Back To Results