Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Tipperary North
22401301
View from south-west.
Reg. No.22401301
Date1760 - 1800
Previous NameN/A
TownlandGARRYKENNEDY
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates176789, 183872
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usequay/wharf
In Use Asquay/wharf
 
Description
Cut stone quay, built c. 1780, on a rectangular plan with roughly dressed limestone rubble walls brought to courses having stone steps and protruding rounded mooring platform to north-east and cast-iron mooring bollards. Surviving wall of medieval tower house to site.

Appraisal

This quay is a well-known and important feature of Lough Derg. Its setting is enhanced by the ruins of Garrykennedy Castle. It is clearly well designed and executed and retains interesting features such as the mooring platform and cast-iron mooring bollards.
 
Back To Results