Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Modreeny Church of Ireland Church, Tipperary North
22401022
View from south-west.
Reg. No.22401022
Date1825 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMODREENY
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates195556, 189548
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Single-cell Board of First Fruits church, built in 1828, having three-stage bell tower to west end, three-bay side elevations to nave and vestry to north-east corner. Former chancel removed from east end and archway blocked up. Pitched slate roof and brick chimney and partly collapsed roof to vestry. Exposed snecked limestone walls having cut stone quoins and barges and cut stone diagonal buttresses, string course, battlements and finials to tower. Fifteen-over-fifteen pane timber sash windows in lancet openings with cut stone surrounds and hood mouldings. Louvrered lancet windows to tower and pointed segmental-headed ten-pane double-light to vestry. Cut stone doorways, Tudor-arch to bell tower and segmental-arch to vestry, with timber matchboard doors. Remains of medieval church immediately to west of present church.

Appraisal

This typical Board of First Fruits church retains the majority of its original features including the slate roof, elegant lancet windows and fine battlemented tower. Unfortunately lack of use and maintenance is leading to the deterioration of the building with the vestry roof collapsed and some windows vandalized. The site is of archaeological interest as the west end of a medieval church stands nearby in the graveyard.
 
Back To Results