Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Michael's Roman Catholic Church, Aglish, Tipperary North
22400705
View from south-east.
Reg. No.22400705
Date1890 - 1895
Previous NameN/A
TownlandLISHEEN (AGLISHCLOGHANE PR)
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates194352, 198845
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached cruciform-plan gable-fronted church, built 1893, having three-stage bell tower with short spire to north end of front, sacristy to south-east corner and porch to west door. Pitched artificial slate roof with leaded fish-scale roof to spire. Rusticated limestone walls with ashlar limestone porch and upper stages of tower. Buttresses to corners of building and between windows of nave. Pinnacles to tower and octagonal pinnacled turret to opposite end of façade and stone cross finials to gables with metal cross finials to tower. Moulded and decorative string courses to tower and cut stone banding elsewhere. Cut stone surrounds to openings with hood mouldings to pointed doorways. Lancet windows to nave with replacement small-pane windows. Triple lancet windows to west front and to chancel, the latter with stained glass. One-over-one pane timber sash windows to ground stage of bell tower, oculus windows and pointed louvres to upper. Replacement timber battened doors throughout. Detached single-storey service building to south-east corner having pitched slate roof and coursed rubble walls with squared stone quoins and cut stone to doorways. Limestone boundary walls with rusticated ashlar piers with decorative pyramidal caps and wrought-iron gates to site.

Appraisal

This imposing church is a landmark in the small village of Aglish which is otherwise composed of modest domestic buildings. The variation in the treatment of the stone work creates an interesting textural effect to the exterior, while the stained glass windows add artistic value. Saint Michael's replaces an earlier church which was sited further west in the village and no longer stands.
 
Back To Results