Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - Tipperary North

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Slevoir House, Terryglass, Tipperary North
Entrance front, from south-east.
Reg. No.22301001
Date1865 - 1875
Previous NameN/A
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates187341, 201556
Original Usecountry house
Detached five-bay two-storey house, c.1870, in an Italianate style, having projecting four-stage towered entrance bay, lower slightly-recessed four-bay wing to south end of front and a bowed bay and advanced bay to garden façade of main block. Pitched slate roofs to house and felted roof with cornice and brackets to tower and to rendered chimneys. Balustrade to main roof with low parapet to wing. Ruled-and-lined render to all facades with stucco quoins to main house. Tower of ashlar granite, channelled to lower stages and with paired pilasters to upper. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, moulded surrounds and entablature and some tripartite with brackets to sills. Round-arch and squared-headed windows to tower, with imposts to ground floor, pediments to second and paired with keystones to third. Depressed-arch Palladian window in front elevation with panelled pilasters. Keystone, entablature, scrolls and brackets to sills. Round-arch door opening with keystone, spoked fanlight and flanked by red marble columns and panels. All windows and doors are replacement uPVC. Stable yard to south built around courtyard having hipped slate roofs. Rubble limestone walls and snecked squared limestone entrance gateway in east of complex having cut-stone voussoirs to carriage arch. Cut-stone surrounds to window openings facing onto yard.


This imposing house was built for Lt. Col. J.F. Hickey by John McCurdy on the shores of Lough Derg and its distinctive tower is visible from across the lake. Its style is idiosyncratic, but clearly Italianate. The ashlar granite tower has skilled stonework and details and the render detailing of the rest of the building is pleasant. The external character of the house has been altered by the replacement of windows and doors, but otherwise the exterior is relatively intact. The grounds and stable yard are well maintained.
Back To Results