Main Record - County Sligo
|Saint Crumnathy's Cathedral, County Sligo
|Date||1820 - 1825|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL|
|Original Use||church/chapel|| |
Detached rendered Church of Ireland church, built 1822. Deconsecrated Janaury 1998. Three-bay nave, engaged three-stage tower to west with octagonal spire. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles, ashlar limestone verges to gables, uPVC gutters on stone eaves corbel course. Unpainted roughcast walling to main body of church and lower two stages of tower, rubble limestone walling to upper stage and parapet of tower, ashlar limestone strings between tower stages, 1822 datestone over entrance on south face of tower, ashlar copings to tower parapet and corner piers, ashlar spire with ball finial. Pointed-arch window openings, ashlar limestone chamfered dressings, limestone sills, limestone hood moulds, painted Y-tracery small-pane timber windows with cusped heads and quatrefoil top panels, painted timber louvres to belfry. Square-headed window openings to second stage of tower, chamfered limestone dressings, limestone sills, limestone hood moulds, painted two-light timber casement windows. Pointed arched door opening, ashlar limestone chamfered surrounds, limestone hood mould, painted vertically-sheeted timber double doors c. 1950 with matching fixed panel over. Located in grass churchyard, rubble stone boundary walls, wrought-iron gates.
This very simple Board of First Fruits church is entirely harmonious in its rural setting on the site of a former monastic settlement. The ashlar stonework details are well-executed and the timber Y-traceried windows are well-preserved. This is an important historical and ecclesiastical building.
Back To Results|