Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - South Dublin County

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Saggart Catholic Church, Garters Lane, Saggart, South Dublin County
11213041
From north-west
Reg. No.11213041
Date1840 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
TownlandSAGGART
CountySouth Dublin County
Coordinates303917, 226678
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached cruciform plan Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church, c.1845. Uncoursed squared limestone walls with buttresses. Large square castellated tower to entrance front with finials and lancet openings. Entrance to tower with large pointed-arched door surround housing two-leaf timber panelled door. Diamond paned timber Y-tracery windows. Rendered, ruled and lined to rere with small pointed arched windows. Rere (south-east) gable end houses three lancet stained glass windows with oculus above. Interior contains cluster columns supporting plaster rib-vaulted ceiling. Timber panelling, pews and draught lobby.

Appraisal

This elegant Gothic Revival Church is one of the most prominent landmarks in Saggart viewed from almost all roads into the village. The grandeur of the square tower is very dominating and is what makes this church an excellent example of the early Victorian churches in Ireland. The exterior is subtly ornate with simple windows housing elegant stained glass, whilst the interior is quite elegantly detailed. The rib vaulting to the interior is particularly artistic, creating a busy display of elegance whilst still maintaining the feeling of space to the nave. A fine church.
 
Back To Results