Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - South Dublin County

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Rathcoole Parish Church, Main Street, Rathcoole, South Dublin County
11213025
West face
Reg. No.11213025
Date1730 - 1750
Previous NameN/A
TownlandRATHCOOLE
CountySouth Dublin County
Coordinates302506, 226807
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached single-cell gable-fronted Church of Ireland church, c.1740. Two-bay nave, three-bay west front with simple gable bellcote. Roughcast rendered walls with brick eaves and large granite footing. Double lancet diamond-paned stained glass windows set in segmental-arched surrounds to sides. Double lancet stained glass window set in a roll-moulded round-headed surround to east end. Timber tongue and groove door, with quatrefoil opening over and single lancets flanking, all with diamond-paned casement windows. To south elevation, small plaque near base of wall as a memorial to the remains of the son of the Earl of Meath, dated 1764. Pitched slate roof with raised gables. Plain barrel-vaulted interior with timber pews and pulpit, and polychrome tiled floor. Graveyard surrounding with gravestones dating from the late eighteenth century to the 1990s, and large yew tree. Boundary wall of stone rubble.

Appraisal

This Anglican church and surrounding graveyard have a commanding position above the road. The simple design and minimal enrichments show it to be a fine example of an eighteenth-century Anglican Church, enhanced by the well-maintained surroundings and, in particular, the Kennedy Family tomb to the north.
 
Back To Results