Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Meath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Agher School, County Meath
14404809
Representative view
Reg. No.14404809
Date1875 - 1880
Previous NameN/A
TownlandAGHER
CountyCounty Meath
Coordinates282875, 244793
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Useschool
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached five-bay two-storey former school, dated 1879, now in use as detached house. Comprising four-bay double-height block, with gable-fronted single-bay two-storey block to east. Pitched slate roofs with ridge tiles, red brick and rendered chimneystacks, cast-iron rainwater goods, and carved timber barge boards. Red brick walls with date plaque, yellow brick decorative detailing and limestone strings courses. Cast-iron casement windows set in timber frames with. Single-bay two-storey extension to west. Red brick entrance piers with decorative yellow brick detailing and limestone cappings.

Appraisal

Though Agher House is now demolished, this former school forms part of an interesting group of related structures, with the steward's and Agher church, which were built by John Sanderson Winters. The architectural design this building, with its gabled and projecting elements, are unusual in the Irish context. The survival of many original features and materials enhance this architectural design. The building is a colourful addition to the streetscape, with its purple slate roof, red and yellow brick walls and grey limestone dressings. Plaque reads: 'J.S.W. 1879'.
 
Back To Results