Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Meath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Talbot Castle, Abbey Lane, Trim, County Meath
14328062
Representative view
Reg. No.14328062
Date1410 - 1910
Previous NameN/A
TownlandTRIM
CountyCounty Meath
Coordinates280284, 256924
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usecastle/fortified house
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached two-storey over basement fortified manor house, built 1415, comprising of two ranges and a tower. Entrance at first floor level comprising of pointed arched opening with stone surrounds, accessed by stone steps. Pitched slate roofs with red brick chimneystacks. Roughly-dressed stone walls with carved inset plaque. Square-headed and pointed-arched window openings with stone sills and some with hood mouldings. Major modifications were undertaken at the beginning of the twentieth century with the addition of the attic storey to the garden front. Rubble stone boundary walls with piers and cast-iron double gates.

Appraisal

Built on the site of Saint Mary's Abbey, the tradition of habitation in this castle stretches back to the fifteenth century and the modifications reflect the changing tastes of the various owners. The castle played an important role in the educational history of Trim in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries when it was the Diocesan School, known as the Latin School. It was here that the Duke of Wellington and Sir William Rowan Hamilton were educated.
 
Back To Results