Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Meath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Slane Mill, Mill Hill, Slane, County Meath
14315062
Representative view
Reg. No.14315062
Date1765 - 1799
Previous NameN/A
TownlandSLANE
CountyCounty Meath
Coordinates296692, 273553
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usemiller's house
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey house mill house, c. 1765, now in use as a private residence. Roughly coursed limstone walls with carved limestone quoins and projecting ashlar eaves course. Squared-headed window openings with carved stone surrounds, stone sills and replacement timber sash windows. Large round-headed window opening to east elevation may have been a door opening. Centrally positioned doorcase on south façade with carved stone surrounds. Hipped natural slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Five-bay two-storey over basement extension, c. 1799, attached to west. Three-bay entrance front to west elevation with pedimented porch breakfront. Round-arched door opening with pilasters and sidelights flanking door with neo-Classical style fanlight. Ashlar limestone walls with a limestone cornice. Square-headed window openings with moulded limestone architraves and sills with replacement timber sash windows. Hipped natural slate roof. Three-storey modern extension to north.

Appraisal

This mill house forms part of an interesting group of mill related structures with the mill, water channels, gates and gate lodge. The original mill manager's house is quite modest in comparison to the architectural scale and detailing of the mill building. The later extension to the west is more extravagant in terms of architectural scale and detailing. This indicates that the mill company was extremely profitable in the first decades of its operation. This extension is well designed and proportioned with some fine decorative details such as the fanlight, window surrounds and cornice. Reputedly constructed by Mr. J. Gilbert.
 
Back To Results