Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Limerick City

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Spillane's Tower, Corcanree Business Park, Dock Road, Limerick, Limerick City
21527001
General View
Reg. No.21527001
Date1865 - 1875
Previous NameSnuff Box
Townland
CountyLimerick City
Coordinates155284, 156218
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usebeacon
In Use Asbeacon
 
Description
Freestanding single-bay three-storey Gothic Revival tower, erected in 1870, and situated on the south bank of the River Shannon. Tower, 36 feet high, tapering to the top, with battlemented parapet, machicolations and a bartizan in north-west corner which housed the harbour light. Squared coursed cut limestone walls. Square-headed narrow window openings.

Appraisal

This small tower/folly/navigation light/beacon was erected in 1870 to commemorate William Spillane. It was during Spillane's mayoralty that the Corcanree embankment was completed. The Spillane family were the largest tobacco importers in Munster and as snuff was a product of the Spillane Tobacco Company, the tower became known as the Snuff Box. The building is historically important as it served as a harbour light/marker buoy since 1885. It is important in terms of its context with the River Shannon. It contributes to the history of navigational architecture in Limerick and within the greater Shannon region.
 
Back To Results