Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Limerick City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Prospect Hill Clothing Factory, Lord Edward Street, Limerick, Limerick City
21521085
Façade from Colonney Street
Reg. No.21521085
Date1820 - 1860
Previous NameTait's Army Clothing Facory
Townland
CountyLimerick City
Coordinates157535, 156191
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usefactory
In Use Asbuilding misc
 
Description
Attached seven-bay two-storey rendered former factory building, built c. 1830, originally of greater extent, with truncated remains of original structure to the north. Now distinguished by a limestone ashlar three-centred red brick carriage arch beneath pediment. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Rendered walls throughout with stringcourse at first floor level. Exposed red brick elevation to side most likely an internal dividing wall. Segmental-arched window openings with drip moulds at ground floor level, all having rendered reveals, limestone sills, and mullioned window openings at ground floor level and timber window frames only extant at first floor level. Openings blocked or boarded-up. Square-headed door openings with moulded architraves, now blocked-up. Blocked-up limestone ashlar carriage arch, with piers from which a red brick carriage arch springs. All beneath a triangular pediment and parapet. Large derelict site to rear.

Appraisal

The 1865 OS map identifies this site as Tait's Army Clothing Factory. The 187 OS map2, however, describes this site as the Prospect Hill Clothing Factory. The site was formerly that of 'the old auxiliary workhouse at Boherbouy'. It was leased to Tait for 999 years with the previso favouring his expansion plans which entitled Tait to 'rebuild or wholly take down the stores' forming part of the central part of the buildings and replace them with 'useful and permanent improvement'. It is not clear today, what predates Tait's vast improvements and expansion of the site buildings. In 1919 Patrick John Fitzgerald Munden restored it for Trustees of the Lance Estate, following fire damage. Though currently in poor condition, it is an interesting element in the streetscape, and is more reminiscent of the area's strong military heritage than of a commercial factory building.
 
Back To Results