Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Limerick City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Baal's Bridge, Mary Street, Broad Street, Limerick, Limerick City
21513031
West Elevation
Reg. No.21513031
Date1830 - 1840
Previous NameBall's Bridge
Townland
CountyLimerick City
Coordinates158094, 157378
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usebridge
In Use Asbridge
 
Description
Single-arched hump-back limestone bridge, built between 1830-31, linking Mary Street to the north in English Town with Broad Street to the south within Irish Town and spans the Abbey River. Quarter round breakwaters with stepped conical coping. Segmental-arch with rusticated rock-faced voussoirs. Squared and coursed limestone ashlar walls with platband to base of parapet. Ashlar limestone coping above reaching an apex. Curved abutment walls terminating with a rusticated rock-faced limestone pier to quay walls with capstones. Plaque to bridge reads: 'This bridge was erected by virtue of an Act of the XIth of Geo.e the IV. The Rt. Honble. Thos. Spring Rice M.P. for the city of Limerick. Commenced taking down the old bridge Nov. 1830. The new bridge finished Nov. 1831. J.A. & G. R. Pain Architects.' Another plaque reads: 'The ancient bridge of four arches which occupied this site was taken down and this bridge erected at the expense of the new Limerick Navigation Company incorporated 1830 - Chas. Wye Williams Esqr. Chief Director. J.A. & G. R. Pain Architects.'

Appraisal

This pleasant bridge, with little decoration but displaying quality stonework, was designed by James and George Pain. The contractor was Williams for the New Limerick Navigation Company. It replaced the very early Baal's Bridge, which was an important four-arched bridge that formed the only link before the mid eighteenth century between The Englishtown and Irishtown. With its construction, the route eastwards to Dublin was much improved. It was identified as Ball's Bridge on the first edition Ordnance Survey of Limerick City (1840-1841) and on the 1872 edition.
 
Back To Results