Main Record - County Louth
|Darver National School, County Louth
|Date||1935 - 1945|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL|
|In Use As||school|| |
Detached six-bay single-storey school, built c. 1940. Rectangular-plan, flat-roofed three-bay entrance blocks to east and west, extension currently under construction to north. Hipped slate roof, clay ridge tiles, red brick stone corbelled chimneystack, moulded cast-iron gutters on rendered corbelled eaves course, circular cast-iron downpipes some with decorative hoppers. Rock-faced squared-and-snecked granite walling, red brick quoins, smooth rendered plinth. Tripartite square-headed window openings, red brick reveals, tooled granite lintels and sills, uPVC windows. Square-headed door openings, red brick reveals, tooled granite lintel, painted timber and glazed vertically-sheeted door, tooled granite threshold, concrete step. School set in own grounds, surrounded by hard and soft landscaping, bounded by dry-stone wall and wire fence, ashlar granite piers, pyramidal caps, plaques to piers "Merces Nostra Scientia Darver - 1940" , wrought-iron gates, kissing-gate to south-west; brick piers, wrought-iron gate accessed church yard to east.
This attractive school building displays fine craftsmanship in the execution of its stonework, with the use of red brick to the dressings forming an aesthetically-pleasing contrast. Its elevated site befits its central position within the rural landscape and it forms a socially important group with the church to its east.
Back To Results|