|Ballsgrove House, Drogheda, County Louth
|Date||1730 - 1735|
|Previous Name||Grove House/The Grove|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL|
|Original Use||country house|
|In Use As||house|| |
Detached double-pile five-bay two-storey over basement country house, built 1734. Canted bay windows to east elevation, lean-to returns to south elevation, curving crenellated stone and brick walling to east and west of south elevation. Double-pile hipped roof, lead flashing to ridges and hips to west pile, clay ridge and hip tiles to east pile; rendered corbelled chimneystacks; gutters concealed by parapet wall, circular cast-iron, aluminium and uPVC downpipes; moulded coping stones to parapet, six ashlar limestone pilasters on smooth rendered parapet to west elevation. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond, smooth rendered basement walling, chamfered ashlar limestone plinth, string course to first floor window heads, frieze and cornice, block-and-start quoins; roughcast-rendered walling to north and east elevations; smooth rendered ruled-and-lined walling to south. Square-headed window openings to first and second floor north, east and west, segmental-headed window openings to basement; three limestone voussoirs to window head of west elevation, painted timber three-over-six sliding sash windows to first floor with exposed sliding sash boxes, six-over-six to ground floor, two-over-two to basement; single-storey crenellated canted bay windows to east, block-and-start window surrounds, painted timber overlights and casement windows, painted smooth rendered lugged-and-kneed pedimented window surrounds to first floor, three-over-six sliding sash windows; painted smooth rendered window surrounds to north; round- and square-headed window openings to south, painted timber casement windows, fixed fanlight with three panes below. Square-headed door opening to west, tooled ashlar limestone surround, frieze and cornice, multiple-paned fixed overlight, painted timber door with four flat panels, limestone bridging approach stair with curved quadrant walls, piers and cap stones; square-headed door opening top east, smooth rendered block-and-start surround, multiple-paned fix overlight, painted timber door with four flat panels, limestone flags to entrance. Ranges of stone former stable complex and farm buildings to south-east set around concrete yard; pitched slate roofs, random rubble stone walling, square-headed window and door openings, red brick surrounds. House approached from west, set in own mature grounds.
Ballsgrove House was built for the High Sheriff of Louth George Ball. It stands on an elevated site to the south-west of Drogheda town and is a mid-eighteenth-century house that has maintained its original classical proportion and form. The robust, masculine architectural style is enhanced by the symmetry of its façade, the central door opening creating a striking and elegant formal entrance into the house. The retention of the various sliding sash windows is worthy of note, especially those on the second floor, west elevation for they retain their exposed sash boxes. The canted bays to the east elevation are a late-nineteenth-century addition which show the evolution of domestic architectural styles. The outbuildings and farmyard complex are also worthy of particular note for they help maintain the original site context of the house, which was once an important residence, creating employment for many in the locality. The fine entrance gate to the north of Ballsgrove House, once created a prominent entrance way and is a significant feature connected to this architecturally important grouping.
Back To Results|