Main Record - County Louth
|Droichead Arts Centre, West Street, Drogheda, County Louth
|Date||1730 - 1735|
|Previous Name||Barlow House|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL|
|In Use As||community centre|| |
Detached five-bay three-storey over basement red brick former townhouse, dated 1734, later in use as RIC barracks, subsequently Garda Station, now in use as arts centre. Refurbished. Roof not visible behind parapet, rendered chimneystacks, cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid in Flemish bond, smooth rendered basement, finely tooled ashlar limestone plinth, string course above ground floor windows, continuous sill course to first floor windows, corniced parapet and block-and-start quoins; smooth rendered walling to east and west elevations. Square-headed window openings, stone sills, painted timber nine-over-nine timber sliding sash windows to ground and first floors, nine-over-six to second floor; segmental pediment supported by fluted console brackets, scrolled pilasters to central first floor window. Square-headed door openings, tooled stone block-and-start surround with prominent keystone surmounted by triangular pediment, plain-glazed overlight with vertical glazing bars, painted timber door with seven raised-and-fielded panels; limestone entrance platform flanked by wrought-iron railings, accessed by five dressed limestone steps; entrance bay to east. Basement area bounded by tooled limestone plinth surmounted by wrought-iron railings. Georgian interior remains; fine plasterwork to stair hall with elaborate staircase with open well. House fronts onto street.
Barlow House is a particularly fine townhouse dating from 1734 and attributed to architects Richard Cassels and Francis Bindon. Of considerable architectural interest, its importance is further enhanced by its historical journey from elegant townhouse to RIC Barracks and Arts Centre. The back wall, part of original Dundalk Town walls, was used by the RIC to execute prisoners. Recently renovated to a high standard it is a landmark in the town of Drogheda.
Back To Results|