Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Longford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Elfeet Windmill, County Longford
13402109
General view.
Reg. No.13402109
Date1750 - 1790
Previous NameN/A
TownlandELFEET (ADAMSON)
CountyCounty Longford
Coordinates201917, 260092
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usemill (wind)
 
Description
Remains of two-storey windmill (corn) on circular-plan, built c. 1770. Constructed with coursed rubble limestone with remains of lime render over. Remains of cut stone coping over. Remains of two doorways, one to the southeast face and one to the northwest face, having narrow slit window openings/loop hole openings over. Roughly cut limestone lintels over doorways. Remains of staircase to interior, curving around wall from the northwest doorcase. Located in grounds of modern house to the south of Lanesborough. Sited on top of a hill in an elevated position to the east of Lough Ree. Possible remains of earlier windmill (on circular-plan) adjacent to the northeast.

Appraisal

This conspicuous ruined former windmill (corn) stands proudly on an elevated site to the east of the shores of Lough Ree. The remains of cut stone coping to the top of this windmill suggests that it stands to its original full-height (sail/mechanisms excluded). It is one of a number of windmills along the east/northeast shores of Lough Ree and environs (there is another windmill at Knock, near Lanesborough (13310006) to the north, and a number in County Westmeath to the south). It probably dates to the mid-to-late eighteenth century and had gone out of use by c. 1838 (indicated as 'wind mill stump' on Ordnance Survey first edition six-inch map). Although out of use for almost two centuries, it remains a local landmark and adds historical interest to the local landscape. It is an interesting addition to the industrial heritage of County Longford and acts as an historical reminder of the great boom experienced in the Irish corn/cereal milling industry during the mid-to-late eighteenth century. There are historical references to a windmill somewhere in this vicinity dating from the mid-seventeenth century (1642), when two men from Formoyle House to the north were hung from a windmill. The possible foundations of an earlier windmill to the northeast of the extant structure, perhaps, indicate that this has long been the site of a windmill.
 
Back To Results