Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Leitrim

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
The Leitrim Design House, Main Street, Manorhamilton, County Leitrim
30805013
Representative view
Reg. No.30805013
Date1830 - 1835
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMANORHAMILTON
CountyCounty Leitrim
Coordinates188606, 339504
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usemarket house
In Use Asshop/retail outlet
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey gable-fronted former market house, built in 1834 by Nathaniel Clements, second Earl of Leitrim. Set back from the road and now used as a design centre. Pitched roof with decorative cut stone chimneystack to rear. Ashlar façade with channelled rustication to ground floor and sandstone dressings and quoins. Rendered side and rear elevations. Carved stone coat of arms to tympanum of pediment displaying the motto 'Patriis Virtutibus' (by Ancestral Virtues). Timber sash windows. Entrance doorway to south end of façade. Central integral carriage arch with display window. Entrance door with stucco surround remains on façade from previous hardware store. Building flanked by tooled sandstone carriage arches with cast-iron gates leading to rear of site containing a number of outbuildings.

Appraisal

The former market house, built by the renowned Nathaniel Clements, is a landmark building in Manorhamilton and indeed County Leitrim. It has retained much of its original fabric and form. With the meticulous detailing of cut stone elevations and a carved stone plaque, this structure in not only historically important, but architecturally significant.
 
Back To Results