Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Limerick

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Ballylanders Church of Ireland Church, Ballylanders, County Limerick
21801004
South and west elevations.
Reg. No.21801004
Date1800 - 1860
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALLYLANDERS
CountyCounty Limerick
Coordinates176611, 124343
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached single-cell former Church of Ireland church, built c. 1820, with square-plan three-stage tower to south and three-bay nave elevations. Originally built as a fortified house. Nave of church roofless. Cut limestone crenellations and corner pinnacles and cut limestone eaves courses. Cut limestone copings and cross finial to north. Cut and dressed sandstone walls having tooled sandstone quoins and cut limestone stringcourses. Carved limestone plaque to first stage and carved limestone crest to second stage of tower. Paired lancet openings to ground floor of tower, having tooled limestone block-and-start surrounds and sills. Paired round-headed openings to first stage with tooled limestone block-and-start surrounds and circular openings above. Ogee-arched openings to second stage having crossed mullions and tooled limestone block-and-start surrounds. Ogee-arched openings to nave having limestone sills, tooled sandstone Y-tracery and block-and-start surrounds. Pointed arch window to north elevation having tooled limestone block-and-start surround, sill, and elaborate tracery. Pointed arch door opening to south elevation. Retains remains of interior cut limestone staircase. Rendered boundary walls.

Appraisal

Prominently sited at the top of the town, this building is a significant landmark structure on the Ballylanders skyline. The full-width and rather squat tower was built originally as part of a tower house for the Earls of Kingston who donated the funds. The building of the castle ended due to costs and a wing was added to the redundant tower and a church nave with tower entrance was created. The work on the church was designed by Welland and Gillespie. The church has some unusual architectural features including crests of the Earls of Kingston. Together with other well crafted features, such as cross mullion add interest to the façade. The plaque adds context and reads in Irish and English: 'Glory to God in the Highest and On Earth Peace and Goodwill to All Men'. By the 1880s the church was no longer in use.
 
Back To Results