Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kilkenny

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Erke Church (Galmoy Church), County Kilkenny
12400805
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.12400805
Date1820 - 1825
Previous NameN/A
TownlandGARRYLAUN
CountyCounty Kilkenny
Coordinates227061, 171210
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached three-bay single-storey single-cell Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church, built 1823, with single-bay three-stage entrance tower to west on a square plan. In use, 1900. Now in ruins. Pitched roof now gone with cut-limestone coping to gables, and no rainwater goods surviving on cut-limestone eaves retaining engaged cast-iron downpipes. Roof to tower not visible behind parapet (presumed now gone). Unpainted fine roughcast walls over random rubble limestone construction with cut-limestone stringcourse to plinth, cut-limestone surround to gable, rectangular recessed panel over door opening, cut-limestone stringcourses to each stage to tower, and battlemented parapet on cut-limestone stringcourse having obelisk corner pinnacles rising into foliate finials. Pointed-arch window openings to nave with cut-limestone sills, cut-limestone surrounds, and no fittings surviving (Y-mullions to east forming tripartite pointed-arch arrangement having overlight with fixed-pane timber fitting having remains of leaded panels). Pointed-arch openings to top (bell) stage to tower with cut-limestone sills, cut-limestone surrounds, and remains of louvered timber panel fittings. Pointed-arch door opening with cut-limestone surround having chamfered reveals, and timber panelled door having overpanel. Set back from road in own grounds with random rubble stone boundary wall to perimeter of site having rubble stone piers, and wrought iron double gates. (ii) Graveyard to site with various cut-stone markers, post-1823-post-1900.

Appraisal

A well-composed modest-scale rural church conforming to a standard arrangement of nave and tower associated with the Board of First Fruits (fl. c.1711-1833): sparsely detailed the external expression of the composition is enlivened by the stepping in of each stage of the tower producing an elegantly-tapered profile accentuated by the decorative treatment of the parapet enhancing the picturesque effect on the skyline. Although now long disused the church together with the adjacent associated glebe house (12400804/KK-08-04) survives as a self-contained ensemble representing an important reminder of the once-prosperous Church of Ireland community in the locality. An attendant graveyard containing a collection of markers displaying high quality craftsmanship enhances the setting value of the site in the landscape.
 
Back To Results