Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kerry

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
The Vintage, New Street, Killarney, County Kerry
21400879
View of building from south-west.
Reg. No.21400879
Date1985 - 1995
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILLARNEY
CountyCounty Kerry
Coordinates96443, 90705
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usebishop's palace
 
Description
Terraced six-bay single- and two-storey building, built c. 1990, incorporating fabric and retaining early fenestration of earlier Bishop's Palace, built c. 1775, to left first floor. Originally a five-bay composition, now comprising single-bay pedimented advanced bay, originally breakfront, with two-bay end bay to left. Extensively renovated and extended in latter part of twentieth century, with three-bay single-storey projecting block having half-dormer attic to right, and three-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting block to left having timber pilaster shopfront with consoles and cornice. Pitched slate roof with lead ridge roll, rendered chimneystack and cast-iron gutter on iron brackets. Painted rendered walls. Painted stone sills to timber one-over-one pane sliding sash windows at upper floor. Timber panelled shutters at first floor interior. Plaque inscribed: "Old Bishop's Palace early resident of Bishop of Kerry Bishop Teahan was the first Bishop of Kerry to reside in Killarney. He lived here 1787-97. Church ruins at rear."
 
Back To Results