Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kerry

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Mary's Catholic Church, The Square, Listowel, County Kerry
21400212
View of church from north-east.
Reg. No.21400212
Date1860 - 1870
Previous NameN/A
TownlandLISTOWEL
CountyCounty Kerry
Coordinates98991, 133526
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingNational
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding cruciform-plan double-height Gothic Revival style Roman Catholic church, built c. 1865, with six-bay double-height nave, six-bay single-storey lean-to aisles to east and to west elevations, single-bay double-height transepts to east and to west elevations, single-bay single-storey lean-to projecting porches to north elevations, single-bay single-storey flat-roofed chapels to east and to west gable ends, single-bay double-height lower polygonal apse to south gable end and entrance bay to north gable end, single-bay double-height chapel to north-west corner having polygonal west elevation and single-bay three-stage tower to north-east corner on a square plan. Renovated internally in 1998. Pitched slate roof to nave, lean-to artificial slate roofs to aisles with ashlar copings and finials. Hexagonal spire to tower with lucarnes. Rock-hewn snecked limestone walls with smooth finished dressings. Stone tracery to pointed window openings and rose windows having limestone surrounds and hood mouldings. Single lancets to tower. Cinqfoil to entrance façade. Stepped ashlar reveals to doorways with hood mouldings. Main entrance flanked by pink marble pilasters. Profiled roof with exposed trusses to interior. Pointed arcades to aisles on polished black limestone columns. Black and red quarry-tiled floor. Timber moulded wainscoting. Marble and mosaic gallery. Mosaic-tiled walls to chancel and side chapels. Gateway, built c. 1865, to north comprising six limestone ashlar Gothic Revival style piers with wrought-iron gas lamp holders having wrought-iron gates and railings.
 
Back To Results