Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kerry

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Michael The Archangel's Catholic Church, Ballylongford, County Kerry
21300201
View of church from east.
Reg. No.21300201
Date1870 - 1875
Previous NameN/A
TownlandAGHANAGRAN MIDDLE
CountyCounty Kerry
Coordinates99672, 144845
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding seven-bay single- and double-height Hiberno Romanesque style Roman Catholic church, begun 1871, designed by J.J. Mc Carthy. Comprising seven-bay double-height nave with six-bay single-storey lean-to aisles to north and to south elevations, single-bay two-stage truncated tower to north-west, rose window to east gable end, three-bay single-storey chapel to south-west and single-bay full-height bowed apse to west gable end. Interior re-ordered c. 1975. Extended to north, c. 1980, with two-bay single-storey flat-roofed sacristy. Pitched slate roofs to nave and sacristy with lean-to slate roofs to aisles, clay ridge tiles and having cast-iron rainwater goods on limestone corbels. Curved copper clad roof to apse. Replacement artificial slate pyramidal roof to tower, with louvered timber lantern having copper-clad dome and iron crucifix finial. Snecked squared rubble stone walls, with rock-hewn ashlar buttresses and quoins. Imitation ashlar block work to sacristy. Paired round-headed window openings to aisles and to clerestory and single openings to east and to west walls, having dressed cut-limestone surrounds. Fixed-pane windows, round-headed door openings and ledged and braced timber double leaf doors with strap hinges. Limestone steps to entrances. Full-height interior open into roof. Tiled floor. Replacement glazed timber lobby, c. 1950. Round-headed arcade to side aisles with pink marble and stone columns having foliate capitals and moulded red brick archivolts. Gallery to first floor to west. Stained glass window to west. Clear glass windows to side aisles and to clerestory. Open scissors truss timber roof. Chancel arch on paired pilasters. Tiled floor to altar. White marble font. Stained glass windows to altar and to side altars. Ribbed ceiling to apse. Graveyard to site with various cut-stone grave markers, c. 1875-present. Detached presbytery, c. 1965, to site. Detached school, c. 1980, to site.
 
Back To Results