Main Record - County Kildare
Print This Page
|Kildrought House, Main Street, Celbridge, County Kildare
|Date||1715 - 1725|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL|
|In Use As||house|| |
Detached three-bay two-storey over raised basement house with half-dormer attic, c.1720, on a symmetrical plan retaining early aspect with pediment to centre, single-bay two-storey lean-to lower recessed end bay to right (south-west) and five-bay three-storey rear elevation to south-east. Hipped roof with slate (gabled to pediment; lean-to to recessed end bay). Red clay ridge tiles. Cut-stone chimney stacks. Cut-stone coping to pediment. Cast-iron rainwater goods on profiled red brick eaves course. Coursed rubble stone walls (possibly originally rendered). Red brick dressings including profiled course to eaves and surround to pediment. Square-headed window openings (round-headed window opening to first floor front (north-west) elevation continuing into pediment forming half-dormer attic). Stone sills. Red brick surrounds. 3/3 and 6/6 timber sash widows. Shallow segmental-headed door opening approached by flight of stone steps. Red brick surround. Glazed timber panelled double doors. Decorative overlight. Square-headed door opening to rear elevation to south-east. Red brick surround. Glazed timber panelled doors. Overlight. Set back from road in own grounds. Gravel forecourt to front.
Detached three-bay single-storey curvilinear gable-fronted outbuilding with attic, c.1720, to north-west with seven-bay single-storey side elevation to north-east. Refenestrated, c.1990. Gable-ended roof (behind curvilinear gable) with slate. Red clay ridge tiles. Roughcast chimney stack. Cast-iron rainwater goods on profiled red brick eaves course. Roughcast walls. Unpainted. Red brick dressings including quoins to corners, profiled course to eaves and coping to curvilinear gable. Shallow segmental-headed window openings. Stone sills. Red brick surrounds. Replacement fixed-pane timber windows, c.1990. Bulls-eye window to gable. Red brick surround. Fixed-pane window. Shallow segmental-headed door openings. Red brick surrounds. Replacement glazed timber doors, c.1990.
Terraced gardens, c.1720, to south-east with rubble stone retaining walls to terraces having red brick piers.
Detached three-bay single-storey flat-roofed red brick summer house, c.1840, to south. Renovated, c.1990. Flat-roof behind red brick parapet wall. Materials not visible. Red brick walls with red brick dressings including pilasters and profiled cornice to parapet wall having cut-stone ball finials. Shallow segmental-headed window openings. Stone sills. Replacement fixed-pane windows, c.1990. Square-headed door opening. Replacement glazed timber panelled double doors, c.1990.
Gateway, c.1720, to north-west comprising pair of rubble stone piers with red brick pediment over having cut-stone coping, wrought iron gate and rubble stone flanking boundary walls with wrought iron railings over, pair of rubble stone piers to south-west having segmental-headed carriageway with cut-stone voussoirs over and wrought iron double gates. Repointed, c.1990.
Kildrought House is a fine, substantial gentleman's residence that is one of the earliest remaining private houses in the locality, having been begun prior to commencement of work on Castletown House. The house is of social importance, having been built by a patron of high status in the locality, as evidenced by the scale and fine detailing of the house. Built on a symmetrical plan that is interrupted only by a recessed end bay to right (south-west), the house is composed of graceful Classical proportions and centred to both primary elevations about fine door openings. The inclusion of a pediment to the entrance (north-west) front serves to articulate the skyline and is an unusual feature on Main Street. The construction of the house in rubble stone is of interest, and the unrefined quality suggests that it was originally rendered (possibly in a manner matching the outbuilding to north-west). The use of early red brick to the dressings is an attractive feature of the composition and reveals a high quality of craftsmanship in the locality, notably to the profiled courses to the eaves. The house presents an early aspect, although it is probable that some of the original features have been replaced over the years. Nevertheless, replacement materials have been inserted in keeping with the original integrity of the design and include multi-pane timber sash fenestration and glazed timber doors. Set back from the line of the street, the house is an unusual feature on Main Street, being the only building on the street that is fronted by a forecourt, and adds variety to the established streetline of the streetscape. The house is announced on the side of the road by a fine gateway that reveals a high quality of stone masonry, and which retains early iron work to the gates and railings - the repointing is very prominent, however, and future renovation works ought to follow traditional practises. The formal gardens to the south-east are of particular interest in terms of their landscape design qualities, and reflect the eighteenth- and nineteenth-century fashions for formal landscaping. The house is complemented by a range of outbuildings that are individually of architectural heritage merit - the outbuilding to north-west is an attractive long range that is dominated by a graceful curvilinear gable. The building retains most of its original form and replacement materials have been inserted in keeping with the integrity of the original design. The summer house to south is also a picturesque feature in the grounds, constructed entirely of early brick with dressings including pilasters that appear to bulge, despite having no considerable weight over, together with a profiled eaves course. The Kildrought House estate is an important component of the architectural heritage of Celbridge, representing an almost-intact early eighteenth-century middle-size urban estate.
Back To Results|