Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kildare

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Tea Lane Graveyard, Church Road, Celbridge, County Kildare
11805051
Representative view of memorial chapel, freestanding gable and graveyard from west.
Reg. No.11805051
Date1850 - 1870
Previous NameN/A
TownlandOAKLEYPARK
CountyCounty Kildare
Coordinates297313, 233005
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Asgraveyard/cemetery
 
Description
Detached two-bay single-storey rubble stone building with attic, c.1860, possibly incorporating fabric of earlier medieval church, c.1600. Now disused. Gable-ended roof with slate. Clay ridge tiles. No rainwater goods on eaves course. Lime rendered walls over rubble stone construction. Unpainted. Square-headed window openings. No sills. Now blocked-up. Square-headed door opening. Timber door. Traces of round-headed window openings to west elevation with cut-stone surrounds. Now blocked-up (red brick). Set back from road in own grounds. Attached single-bay single-storey rubble stone memorial chapel with half-attic, c.1860, to south-west with single-bay single-storey mono-pitched entrance bay to west having round-headed door opening with crow-stepped parapet, single-bay single-storey side elevation to west and single-bay two-storey corner turret to south-west on a square plan with battlemented parapet. Gable-ended and mono-pitched roofs (mono-pitched roof behind parapet) with slate (gablet to half-attic window). Clay ridge tiles. Rendered coping to gables with motif to apexes. Cast-iron rainwater good on cut-stone corbelled eaves. Roof to turret not visible behind battlemented parapet wall. Random rubble stone walls. Rubble stone crow-stepped gable to mono-pitch with battlemented parapet along ridge. Battlemented parapet wall to turret on corbelled stringcourse. Round-headed openings (square-headed slit-style openings to turret). Cut-stone surrounds. Fixed-pane leaded windows. Timber panelled door. Freestanding rubble stone gable wall, c.1600, to east possibly remains of medieval church on site with round-headed window opening. Remainder of church now gone. Graveyard to site with various cut-stone grave markers, c.1700-c.1900. Gateway, c.1860, to north-east comprising pair of rubble stone piers with segmental-headed opening having wrought iron double gates, shallow segmental-headed pedestrian gateway to south with wrought iron gate, and rubble stone boundary wall.

Appraisal

This group of buildings is of considerable social importance, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the locality - with sections dating to a period pre-1700, the site is of archaeological significance. The earliest remaining structure on site would appear to be the now-freestanding gable wall, probably originally part of a larger medieval church on site, and it is possible that the single-cell building to the east incorporates further fabric of this church. The latter building is a simple structure, of little architectural pretension, and incorporates features such as the outline of round-headed window openings. The memorial chapel to west, dedicated to the Maunsell family, is a fine, modest-scale structure of much incident and includes attractive features such as the crow-stepped gable and a corner turret - the latter serves to articulate the skyline, while identifying the chapel in its surroundings. The group of buildings expresses a medieval quality and is a picturesque feature in the locality. Surrounded by an attendant graveyard, some of the cut-stone markers are of some artistic interest, while announcing the entrance of the site on to the road is an attractive gateway that contains early examples of wrought iron work.
 
Back To Results