Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kildare

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Celbridge Methodist Church (former), Celbridge, County Kildare
11805047
Representative view of church from west.
Reg. No.11805047
Date1860 - 1880
Previous NameN/A
TownlandDONAGHCUMPER
CountyCounty Kildare
Coordinates297145, 232798
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Asfuneral home
 
Description
Detached four-bay single-storey Gothic-style former Methodist church, c.1870, retaining early aspect with single-bay single-storey gabled projecting lower porch to north and two-bay single-storey lower vestry projection to east. Subsequently in use as hall. Now in use as funeral home. Gable-ended roofs with slate. Clay ridge tiles. Cut-stone coping to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Snecked limestone walls. Cut-limestone dressings including buttresses to nave, and diagonal buttresses to corners having pinnacles to west. Lancet-arch window openings (traceried (three-light) to west). Cut-stone chamfered sills. Block-and-start surrounds. Hood moulding over window opening to east. Fixed-pane timber windows (some with lattice glazing). Profiled window opening to gable to west. Decorative surround. Louvered timber panel. Square-headed window opening to vestry projection. Cut-stone sill. Timber casement window. Pointed-arch door opening to porch. Moulded rendered surround. Timber panelled double doors. Square-headed door opening to vestry projection. Timber panelled door. Set back from road in own grounds. Rubble stone boundary wall to front.

Appraisal

Celbridge Methodist Church (former) is a fine, small-scale building of much ornamentation that is of considerable social and historical importance, attesting to the once thriving Methodist community in the locality. Despite conversion to an alternative use, the church retains most of its original form and character. The construction of the church in snecked limestone is a fine example of the high quality of stone masonry practised in the locality, and this is especially evident in the detailing that includes slender soaring pinnacles to the west that serve to articulate the skyline and identify the building in its surrounds. The church retains many original or early features and materials, including fittings to the openings and a slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods, although it is not certain if the interior has been salvaged as part of the works to convert the building to use as a funeral home. The church is attractively set in its own grounds, just off the side of the road, and is a picturesque feature on the streetscape.
 
Back To Results