Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Kildare

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Brigid's (Holy Faith) Convent, Main Street (off), Celbridge, County Kildare
11805043
View of side (south-east) elevation.
Reg. No.11805043
Date1870 - 1880
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCELBRIDGE
CountyCounty Kildare
Coordinates297409, 233201
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Useconvent/nunnery
In Use Asconvent/nunnery
 
Description
Detached nine-bay two-storey Gothic-style convent with dormer attic, c.1875, retaining early fenestration comprising three-bay two-storey central block with two-bay two-storey gabled advanced flanking bays, two-bay two-storey recessed end bay to left (north-west) and three-bay two-storey side elevation to south-east. Extended, c.1920, comprising three-bay two-storey lower wing with dormer attic to north-west. Hipped and gable-ended (gable-fronted) roofs with slate (gabled to dormer attic window to wing). Clay ridge tiles. Cut-stone chimney stacks. Cut-stone coping to gables with finials to apexes. Cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-stone corbelled eaves course. Snecked rubble limestone walls. Cement rendered walls to wing. Unpainted. Pointed-arch window openings to ground floor. Shouldered window openings to first floor central block. Trefoil-headed window openings to first floor advanced bays. Cut-stone chamfered sills and block-and-start surrounds. 2/2 timber sash windows. Septafoil openings to gables in cut-stone surrounds. Fixed-pane windows. Square-headed window openings to wing. Stone sills. 2/2 timber sash windows. Trefoil-headed door opening to central block in pointed-arch frame. Cut-stone surrounds and lintel. Timber panelled door. Overlight. Trefoil-headed door opening to side elevation to south-east. Cut-stone block-and-start surround and lintel. Timber panelled door. Overlight. Set back from road at end of tarmacadam avenue. Tarmacadam forecourt to front. Lawns to site.

Appraisal

Saint Brigid's (Holy Faith) Convent is a fine and imposing building that has been sympathetically extended over the years and which retains most of its original features and materials. Built in the Gothic style, the convent complements the appearance of the Catholic church to south-east and together the buildings form a neat group of Catholic ecclesiastical structures on Main Street. Presenting an austere front (south-west) elevation, the convent relies on the balanced displacement of openings and the introduction of gabled advanced bays for architectural incident, while the window openings, variously shaped, provide subtle decorative effect. The construction of the convent in snecked rubble stone with cut-stone dressings is a fine example of the high quality of stone masonry practised in the locality and this is especially evident in the cut-stone work to the openings, which has retained a crisp intricacy. Set well back from the line of the road, the convent may not be a prominent feature of the streetscape of Main Street but nevertheless is an attractive landmark in the locality viewed from the avenue to south-east.
 
Back To Results