Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Galway

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Portumna Castle, Portumna, County Galway
30343051
South range, interior
Reg. No.30343051
Date1780 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandPORTUMNA DEMESNE
CountyCounty Galway
Coordinates185514, 203946
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usestables
 
Description
Detached former stableyard, built c.1800, comprising multiple-bay two-storey stable blocks ranged around closed central courtyard with porches to north and east ranges. Lean-to single-storey block to interior of north range. Converted for residential use c.1826. Currently not in use. Hipped slate roofs with roughcast rendered chimneystacks, and with rendered eaves course. Roughcast rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with cut limestone sills, and replacement six-pane timber single and two-light windows. East range has three-over-there pane timber sash windows to first floor, and three-over-six pane and six-over-six pane to ground floor. West range has window openings only to first floor, with three-over-three pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed pedestrian and vehicular door openings with replacement timber doors, double-leaf to latter and single-leaf with four-pane overlights to former. Segmental-headed carriage arch with timber battened double-leaf door. Elliptical-headed carriage arch to north elevation, with ashlar sandstone surround having imposts, limestone wheel guards and timber battened double-leaf door. Canted-bay six-over-six pane timber sliding sash window to exterior of south elevation. Gateway to north-east has square-profile dressed limestone piers with pyramidal limestone caps and double-leaf wrought-iron gate.

Appraisal

Originally constructed as a utilitarian stable block, this building took on a certain historical significance when it became the temporary home of the Clanricarde family following the destruction of Portumna Castle in a fire in 1826. While certain domestic features were added in the conversion, including sash windows, the building retains many original features, including the carriage arches, wheel guards and gates.
 
Back To Results