Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Galway

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Brendan's Church, The Mall, The Mall, Eyrecourt, County Galway
30338014
Entrance (north) elevation
Reg. No.30338014
Date1825 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
TownlandTOWNPARKS (LONGFORD BY)
CountyCounty Galway
Coordinates191447, 216595
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding cruciform-plan Catholic church, dated 1828, having altar at east end, full-height transepts, single-bay pitched-roof chapels to side walls of chancel, single-bay boiler house with pitched roof to south elevation of nave, single-bay entrance porch to north elevation of nave, and recent two-bay single-storey flat-roofed extension to east elevation of south transept. Main entrance through north transept. Pitched artificial slate roofs throughout with cast-iron rain water goods. Square-profile snecked limestone belfry with crenellations, moulded string courses, and hood-mouldings to pointed-arch openings with timber louvers. Wet-dashed rendered walls with smooth rendered plinth. Pointed-arch window openings, four-light with tracery to chancel east window, two-light to transept and single-light elsewhere, with cut limestone hood-mouldings, chamfered surrounds and slate sills, having stained-glass and leaded glass windows with secondary protective glass. Square-headed opening with replacement window to south elevation of nave. Timber open truss king-post roof with limestone corbels, timber gallery to west end, and stained-glass windows to chancel and chapels, to interior. Site is located on corner site adjacent to road, set in lawned grounds, bounded by cast-iron gates and railings with cut limestone plinth. Double-height screen wall to west of site, with vestigial slate roof, roughcast rendered walls with smooth rendered soffits, and pointed-arch niches above round-arched blind arcade. Plaque to grounds dates church to 1828.

Appraisal

Saint Brendan's Church is situated on a prominent corner site and forms a key part of the built heritage of Eyrecourt. Plaque to site reads 'O Lord have Mercy on the Soul of Christopher B. Martin Esq and his Posi who erected the material of this chapel at his own expense. Solely aided by the very Revd Bernard Kelly PP of Eyrecourt AD 1828.' The cut-stone window dressings and belfry show evidence of skilled craftsmanship and stone-cutting. The unusual positioning of the main entrance in the north transept appears to be original. The decorative screen wall between the church site and the former presbytery to the east is a notable feature.
 
Back To Results