Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Fingal

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Balbriggan Lighthouse, Balbriggan Harbour, Balbriggan, Fingal
11305017
Representative view
Reg. No.11305017
Date1755 - 1765
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALBRIGGAN
CountyFingal
Coordinates320584, 264085
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Uselighthouse
In Use Aslighthouse
 
Description
Lighthouse, built 1761, of tapered profile on a circular plan. Cast-iron railed walkway supported by console surrounding lantern. Accessed through adjoining single-bay single-storey building with steps up to entrance level. Flanked by rubble stone walls. Two plaques reading " This pier was built by the / Honourable George Hamilton / of Hampton in the county of Dublin/ Third Baron of His Majesty's count of the Exchequer /in Ireland/ whose great object in life was to promote / the trade and prosperity / in His country/ann.dom.1761" "Erected by people of Balbriggan in proud & loving memory of their townsman Patrick Joseph Hanley/aged 29 years/who from near this spot on the night of August 24th 1957 at the height of a violent storm set out,/alone, in a sam boat/ to the rescue of two friends whom/he believed in peril in the outer sea/and in this endeavour/lost his own life/"Greater love than this, no man hath/that a man lay down his life for his friends/ John 15,13" ROOF: Flat roof with 'light' positioned centrally on top, surrounded by cast-iron railed walkway. WALLS: Painted ashlar limestone walls; corbelled brackets supporting projecting flat roof. OPENINGS:Square headed probably original timber; tongue and groove panelled door positioned high up on lighthouse wall, door reached by steps enclosed by high plinth walls; bottom of steps is accessed by early tongue and groove timber door; square headed windows with stone cills, blocked up.
 
Back To Results