Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Bloom House, 78 Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Dublin City
50070485
Front (north) elevation
Reg. No.50070485
Date1770 - 1790
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315604, 235527
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Assurgery/clinic
 
Description
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c.1780, now in use as clinic. Pitched roof, hipped to front, having parapet with granite capping to front (north) elevation. Stepped brown brick chimneystack shared with property to west. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond having recent red brick to parapet, recent pointing. Cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having patent reveals and granite sills. One-over-one pane timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening having cut granite block-and-start surround with cornice. Plain fanlight. Timber panelled door. Granite steps to entrance platform having recent metal railings on granite capping to rendered plinth wall on west side. Recent external metal stairs to basement area from pavement. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent timber door. Basement area enclosed from pavement by granite plinth wall with cut granite coping, with recent metal railings and gate.

Appraisal

This well proportioned former house makes an important contribution to the streetscape. Its window and door openings are typical of its type and together with its similarly proportioned neighbours it forms a coherent terrace. The treatment of the entrance, with robust granite door surround, adds interest to the otherwise austere facade. Eccles Street was laid out in 1772 by the Gardiner Estate. It was to be an arterial route leading to Gardiner's ambitious yet unrealised Royal Circus, planned for the north-west end of Eccles Street. The south side of the street is an impressive, almost entirely, late eighteenth-century terrace with taller buildings to the centre of the terrace.
 
Back To Results