Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
27-42 Belvidere Road, Dublin 7, Dublin City
50060617
General view
Reg. No.50060617
Date1870 - 1890
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315938, 235758
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingLocal
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashouse
Additional Useapartment/flat (converted)
 
Description
Terrace of sixteen two-bay two-storey red brick houses, built c.1880, abutted by two-storey pitched-roof returns to rear. Pitched, artificial and natural slate roofs, with grey angled ridge-tiles, and generally ogee cast-iron rainwater goods (some replacement metal) on corbelled yellow brick eaves. Red brick chimneystacks, with brick copings and clay pots (some replacement). Walling is red brick laid to Flemish bond over offset black brick plinth, with polychromatic brick dressings. Smooth rendered walling to rear. Segmental-headed window openings, with brick voussoirs, granite sills and generally replacement uPVC windows. One-over-one pane timber sliding sashes with margins to No. 41. Round-headed porch openings, with rounded brick architraves, brick voussoirs with black brick arches over; some with modern uPVC glazed doors and surrounds inserted. Nos 29-32 have decorative voussoirs with foliate keystone. Generally timber doorcases with panelled aprons, side-lights and over-lights with margins; leaded stained-glass inserts to No. 41 door panels and matching over-light. Number of original four-panelled timber doors survive; remainder are modern timber insertions. Some porches and paths have polychromatic clay tiles, and Nos 31 and 40 have original decorative tiles retained. Differing slightly from remainder of terrace, No. 27 is end-of-terrace, triangular on plan with canted corner elevation; vacant ground floor has shopfront with roller shutters and modern timber fascia; basement accessed by rendered steps to north elevation; roof hipped, with clay ridge and hip-tiles, moulded brick eaves with black brick corbels and half-spherical decorative mouldings; upper window openings generally have pole-moulded and chamfered offset brick architraves; north window and door have offset chamfers; southwestern bay is three storeys high, abutted to west by single-storey flat-roof extension; granite steps to canted corner entrance, concrete platform to projecting north opening. Rendered steps to basements of terrace behind cast-iron railings and pedestrian gates. Terrace set back from pavement behind matching cast-iron railings over painted stone plinth, with pedestrian gates. Rear yards address common alleyway and North Circular Road, enclosed by red-brick and rendered walls, with modern vehicular doors inserted. Number of modern extensions to rear.

Appraisal

A well-proportioned late nineteenth-century terrace of red brick houses, characterised by Victorian stylistic devices and further enlivened by the canted southeastern end-of-terrace house. The integrity has been degraded through loss of some historic fabric and modern insertions to a number of houses, particularly replacement uPVC windows and some uPVC and glazed doors to porches. However, the general character of the composition still remains largely intact, aided by the retention of unifying features such as original cast-iron railings and a number of good doorcases. In conjunction with the opposite terrace (50060616), the pair of terraces defines much of the historic streetscape of Belvidere Road and constitutes an important part of the architectural heritage of this area.
 
Back To Results