Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Dublin City

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
6 Synnott Place, Dublin 7, Dublin City
50060289
Representative, front elevation
Reg. No.50060289
Date1845 - 1855
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyDublin City
Coordinates315722, 235731
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Asapartment/flat (converted)
 
Description
Attached two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c.1850, now in use as flats. Single-span pitched artificial slate roof, hidden behind brick parapet with granite coping. Brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots and replacement uPVC rainwater goods to east end. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to first and second floors with channelled granite quoins to west end, granite string course over ruled-and-lined render to ground floor, granite plinth over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed windows openings with brick voussoirs and rendered reveals, with granite sills to second floor, continuous granite sills to first floor, and replacement uPVC windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with rendered reveals, panelled timber door, engaged Ionic columns on block bases supporting plain frieze and cornice and plain fanlight. Granite platform. Wrought-iron railings on moulded granite plinth to basement area. Cast-iron coal-hole cover set in granite flag to footpath to front.

Appraisal

Synnott Place was part of the residential development undertaken by Gardiner family in the northeastern sector of the city. It retains a terrace of fine three-storey and four-storey houses over basements, forming a pocket of grand architectural character at the edge of the city. It was part of a scheme of streets leading to a proposed circus on the site of the present Mater Hospital. The street was laid out in the 1790s as the westward continuation of Gardiner Street and the houses are typically Georgian in character, although some later infill is evident. From map evidence it appears that Nos. 4, 5 and 6 are later infills. The façade of No.6 is classically restrained with ornamentation limited to the raised quoins, the rendered ground floor and elaborate doorcase with Ionic columns and elegant fanlight.
 
Back To Results